(CNN) --Actor and director Gary Sinise It has touched the lives of thousands of U.S. service members.
Sinise often travels abroad to honor and entertain the troops with his Lt. Dan Band, and its foundation of Gary Sinise help to support them when they return home.
Denise Quan CNN recently spoke with Sinise on CNN Heroes and his philanthropy, which also assists civilian rescuers. Below are excerpts from the interview.
Denise Quan: what is the Foundation of Gary Sinise?
Gary Sinise:In the past 10 years, I have been very active with a lot of military charities, many charities first responder. ...
It became clear that, in order for me to continue at the pace that I am without having to travel all the time, needed an entity which could be used to draw in funds and people in the right direction with regard to the military support and first response teams.
Quan: why this cause is important for you?
Baldado:The Veterans I have in my family.
Next to my wife, I have Viet Nam Veterans. I remember very well what happened to them when came home from the war. For my part, I have veterans. My dad was in the Navy, my aunt and uncle were in the second world war, and my grandfather served in World War I. I have great respect for our veterans.
And then I played one in "Forrest Gump" and he was involved with the Organization of Disabled American Veterans and I was aware that people who lose their limbs and body parts have been sacrificed in the service of his country.
So I think it is important to keep them strong and do what it can to know that I am a very grateful American so offer, which is freedom for me and for my children.
Quan: how to start the Lt. Dan band?
Baldado: I started to take a group of musicians with me to visit our troops in 2004. Previously I would only leave shaking hands and taking pictures and sign autographs and only them pat on the back and say "thank you" and sit down to dinner with them - just let them know that they were appreciated. And finally asked use if they would let take me a group of musicians so he could entertain the troops at the same time, and said "sure".
I happened to have these guys I played with outside of Chicago. My partner Kimo Williams and I put some more boys and girls together and now we have a band of 13 people. It is a great, great show. Around the world have been repeatedly. We will probably do 14, 15 shows use only this year.
It's a good feeling to see the smiles on the faces of these people. When to go to Afghanistan, for example and you're there in the war zone and bring together the people and play for them, is a great feeling to see them having a great time.
Quan: what was on Heroes of CNN made him want to be part of it?
Baldado: Highlights the average Americans and what they do on a daily basis to serve and give back. I'm glad that CNN has created the project heroes, because it is something that makes you feel good when you see what can be done and what people are doing there in the shadows.
Many people don't know the extraordinary sacrifice and service of certain people. And when this sort of thing stands out through a campaign like this, I think it gives incentives to others: "Hey, wait a minute." "There are things I do in my community, but it is small".
Baldado and efforts of his band in support of the troops are outlined in the documentary "Lt. Dan Band: for the good common."
0 comments:
Post a Comment