Former commentator on "60 minutes" Andy Rooney, seen here in 2009, is hospitalized in stable condition. Develop serious complications following minor surgery, CBS saysHis condition is stable, according to networkCurmudgeonly newsman made his last appearance on "60 Minutes" on October 2(CNN) - Andy Rooney, commentator for CBS News for a long time It has been hospitalized in stable condition after suffering "serious complications" after minor surgery last week, the network said Tuesday.
Rooney got his start in journalism during the second world war, when he wrote for the "Stars and Stripes", and he joined CBS in 1949 as a writer for the entertainment of television and radio of Arthur Godfrey show. Rooney went on to collaborate between 1962 and 1968 in a series of trials with his friend the end reporter Harry Reasoner.
With reasoner narrating, Rooney wrote and produced "An essay on bridges" (1965), "An essay on hotels" (1966), "An essay on women" (1967), "An essay on chairs" (1968) and "the strange case of the English language" (1968). He wrote two CBS News Specials in the series "of the" black America. In 1968, his script for "Black History: lost, stolen or diverted" won the first of four Emmy Awards.
"An essay on the war" in 1971 won his third Writers Guild Award.
Joined "60 minutes" in 1978, according to CBS, thus beginning the final show decades essays on topics as diverse as looking for work ("we need people who can actually do things.") We have too many heads and very few workers. ("More university graduates must be plumbers or electricians and then go home at night and he read Shakespeare."); his bushy eyebrows ("attempt to look good.") Comb my hair, I tie my tie, put on a jacket, but I call the line cutting my eyebrows. ("It works with what you got."); the campaign to "shock and awe" that started the war of Iraq in 2003 (the phrase "makes it seem stupid braggarts.")
"This is a moment I feared", said during his 1, 097th and final appearance. "I wish that I could do this forever." They can, however. But I'm not retiring. "Writers are not removed, and I will always be a writer."
"There is nobody as Andy and never will be." "He will hate to hear this, but it is an American original," President of CBS News Jeff Fager said earlier this month in a statement announcing the last appearance of Rooney, when described himself not as a "television personality", but as "a writer who says what is written".
"Work of the writer that is the truth", he said Rooney. "I know I've been terribly wrong sometimes, but I think I've been right more than I've been wrong".
Rooney has won the prize of the Union of writers for best screenplay of the year six times.
He won Emmy Awards for his essays in 1979, 1981 and 1982.
Rooney also wrote, produced, and he narrated a series of broadcasts for CBS News in aspects of American life, including "Mr. Rooney goes to Washington," which won a Peabody Award, "Andy Rooney takes Off," "Mr. Rooney goes to work" and "Mr. Rooney goes to dinner".
"He wrote more than one dozen books, including"air gunner","The story of the stars and stripes, ""conquistador"Pace", "The fortune of war","A few minutes with Andy Rooney," "And more by Andy Rooney," "Pieces of My Mind", "Word for word", "Not that you asked..."; = "Sweet and bitter," "My war", and honestly, "Andy Rooney."
Rooney was born on January 14, 1919, in Albany, New York and studied at Colgate University until he was conscripted into the army in 1941. In February 1943, was one of six correspondents who flew with the eighth air force in the first American bombing on Germany. Last year, Rooney received the Overseas Press Club's award of the President of United States. He lives in New York. Three daughters and a son has.
0 comments:
Post a Comment